News Sports Open Forum Obituaries Legal Notices Events

Tuesday | January 31, 2023





Counter copies
Letters to the Editor
Our Location


Mission Statement
National Newspaper AssociationMN Newspaper Association

The Northland Press is a legally adjudicated newspaper

Deadline to Homestead For Property Taxes Approaches

Web posted December 6, 2022
Crow Wing County Land Services encourages eligible property owners to apply for homestead status on their property. Homestead applications for owner occupied and relative occupied properties must be received by December 31, 2022 for the 2023 payable tax year. Applications are available at www.crowwing.us, in person at 322 Laurel St, Suite 15, Brainerd, or by calling 218-824-1010.

Homestead classification may affect the amount of property taxes payable in 2023, and it may affect property tax refund eligibility. “Receiving homestead on your property may make a substantial reduction to your property taxes,” noted Michaelle Cronquist, Assessing Services Supervisor. “We encourage everyone who qualifies to submit their application before the 31st,” she added.

Please contact Land Services to file a homestead application on or before December 31, 2022 if one of the following applies:

• You purchased a property in the past year and you, or a qualifying relative, occupy the  property as your primary residence on or before December 31, 2022; or

• You, or a qualifying relative, occupy the property as your primary residence and the property is currently classified as seasonal or non-homestead.

A qualifying relative can be a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew, or niece of the owner or owner’s spouse. This relationship may be by blood or marriage. For unoccupied agricultural property, a qualifying relative can be a child, grandchild, sibling, or parent of the owner or owner’s spouse.

In addition, please contact Crow Wing County Land Services if the property owner or a qualifying relative of the property owner no longer occupy the property as the primary residence or if use of the property has changed during 2022.

The Crow Wing County Land Services Department is committed to providing excellent customer service and responding to all inquiries in an efficient, courteous, and professional manner. Property owners may contact the office at landservices@crowwing.us or 218-824-1010 with any questions they may have about the property tax process.

More Top Stories


P.O. Box 145, Outing, MN 56662 • Phone 218-792-5842 • Fax 218-792-5844 • Email news@northlandpress.com