Emily City Council Jaunary highlights
Web posted February 13, 2018
By Bill Monroe, Northland Press Correspondent
(Editor’s Note: The following article was written from the unapproved minutes of a meeting of the Emily City Council held on Tuesday, January 9, 2018 as provided by the City Clerk. Language in quotes comes directly from the minutes.)
The Emily City Council approved a major road payment agreement and discussed a number of organizational matters at its January 9 meeting. Those attending included Mayor Roger Lund and Councilmembers Gary Hanson, Dan Barrett and Bill Spiess. Also present was City Clerk Christa Andrews.
The Council approved an agreement to pay the City’s share of the costs of the Highway 6 reconstruction project estimated to be $68,663.92. The Council also approved a Construction Cost Share/Maintenance Agreement between Emily and Crow Wing County for roadway improvements related to the Highway 6 project and to publish for bids for the City’s 2018 paving project.
The Council has discussed the current status of the Park Commission with the City Attorney. The Council voted to rescind a previous motion to “back pay” park commissioners. The Council collectively agreed to change the Park Commission Ordinance to allow up to two Council members to fill in for Park Commission members to provide a quorum when needed. The proposed ordinance language will be sent to the attorney for review.
The Council voted to send Clerk Andrews to the 2018 MCFOA Clerk’s Conference in March at a cost of “$275 for registration, three nights lodging not to exceed $600 plus tax and reimbursement of mileage and food.”
The Council voted to send Cari Johnson to attend year three of the Minnesota Municipal Clerk’s Insititute at a cost of “$445 for registration if grant not recveived, five nights hotel not to exceed $750 and reimbursement of mileage and food.”
The Council approved the following Fire Department pay schedule for 2018:
• Fire Department pay at $15 per call and $10 per monthly meeting;
• Fire Chief salary $2,400;
• Assistant Fire Chief salary $1,800 and
• Training Officer salary $300.
The Council set the following First Responder pay schedule for 2018:
• $15 per call, $10 per monthly meeting and $10 per monthly drill;
• Chief salary $2,400 and
• Assistant Chief salary $1,800.
The Council approved a resolution confirming the following designations for 2018:
• The Crosby-Ironton Courier as the official newspaper;
• The Pine River State Bank as the primary depository of City funds;
• Tom Pearson of Gammello-Pearson as City Attorney;
• S.E.H as City Engineer;
• Ken Frank as Civil Defense Director from May 1 to October 31 and Gary Hanson as Director from November 1 to April 30;
• Gary Hanson will serve as Mayor in the Mayor’s absence and
• Hearing officers on administrative citation appeals are Franz Vancura and Brook Mallak.
The Council voted to make an annual bond payment of $253,556.25 for road and sewer projects and agent fees of $1,100.
Food Shelf requests denied
The Council denied a request by the Emily Food Shelf to provide outdoor maintenance for the facility. During discussion it was noted the lease states maintenance on the grounds is the responsibility of the Food Shelf. The Council also denied a Food Shelf request to “repair and install new emergency lighting and exit signs at the Food Shelf Building”.
The Council will hold a special meeting January 25 at 9 a.m. to discuss a capital improvement plan with a representative from the National Joint Powers Alliance.
In other business, the Council:
• Voted to pay half of LeAnn and Mark Werner’s registration, hotel, mileage and food expenses to attend an EMS Conference;
• Approved appointing Darcy Rohwedder as a First Responder pending a background and other test results;
• Approved the Little Pine Police Protection Agreement renewal at four hours a month at $35 an hour;
• Approved the 2018 Fire Department election and officers as follows: Chief Kenny Roden; Assistant Chief Chad Genz; Treasurer Pat Redding; Secretary Phil Yetzer and Training Officer Brian Foster;
•”Approved the off-sale (liquor license) lottery applicant” Lake Country Foods with Councilmember Barrett abstaining. The business has 60 days to turn in an application for Council approval;
• Corrected an error in the December minutes “Page two, tenth paragraph, change $44,636.50 to $4,636.50”;
• Paid $12,009.09 for workers compensation insurance.
Northland Press | P.O. Box 145 | Outing, MN 56662 | (218) 692-5842