Emily Council approves 2014 preliminary levy
Web posted September 17, 2013
(Editor’s note: The following article was written from the unapproved summary of action taken at the September 10, 2013 regular monthly meeting of the Emily City Council.)
The Emily City Council approved the 2013 preliminary tax levy in the amount of $924, 405. This represents an increase of six percent. The Truth in Taxation meeting is set for December 10, 2013 at 6:00 pm during the regular council meeting.
Council accepted the resignation of firefighter Mark Landowski after 22 years and 4 months of dedicated service. Tracy Jones was granted a leave of absence from the First Response Unit.
The position of City Clerk/Treasurer will be offered to Krista Okerman at 85% of the Clerk pay, $21. 11, per the union contract with a start date of October 15, 2013. Okerman has over 17 years of government experience and clerk schooling.
The Cities of Emily and Fifty Lakes will hold their joint city clean up day on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 8am to 12pm. The collection site is at the Emily City Shop/Recycling area.
• Following a long discussion the council rescinded a motion made at the August 13, 2013 regular council meeting regarding the 99-year lease with the Emily Emergency Food Shelf. The new lease offered to the Food Shelf will span 25 years at the rent of $1 per year and first option to renew the lease agreement for an additional term of 25 years under the same terms and conditions. As soon as the lease is signed, the Food Shelf may begin the permit process for an addition to the building. The permit fee is waived.
• The DNR will be contacted to set a public meeting to discuss the dam issue and the low water levels for the Emily/Mary Lake Chain.
In other council action:
• Accepted the verbal propane contract rate of $1.499 from Ferrellgas for the 2013-2014 heating year.
• Approved a contribution from Mary and Emily Lake landowners for AIS inspection at the Emily public access over Labor Day weekend.
• Approved the Preventative Maintenance Proposal with Thelen Heating and Roofing, Inc. in the amount of $2,800 for annual maintenance of the boiler and roof top units.
• Approved an electrical estimate from Dave’s Electric of Outing for three slide dimmers at the stage area in the amount of $290.
• Approved the request received from Martha Spear to have the City purchase one of her cemetery lots in the amount of $40.
• Approved reimbursing George Pepek for mileage when he picks up 12 tables and 20 chairs for the City hall. The tables and chairs were approved at a purchase price of $5 each plus tax.
Northland Press | P.O. Box 145 | Outing, MN 56662 | (218) 692-5842