Photo Galleries
News Sports Open Forum Obituaries Legal Notices Events

Tuesday | May 21, 2019





Counter copies
Letters to the Editor
Our Location


Mission Statement
Click for Outing, Minnesota Forecast
National Newspaper AssociationMN Newspaper Association

The Northland Press is a legally adjudicated newspaper

Radon is persistent health risk in Minnesota

Web posted March 12, 2019
A home should be tested at least every 5 years. It is important to perform a radon test after buying a new heating system or adding central air conditioning. Radon is an odorless, colorless and tasteless radioactive gas that occurs naturally in Minnesota soils and can enter homes through cracks and openings in basement or foundation floors and walls.

Radon is the largest environmental cancer risk and leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. It is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. In Minnesota, 2 in 5 homes have radon levels that pose a significant health risk. Fortunately, the risk is largely preventable.

Crow Wing County Land Services Department offers free radon testing kits to area residents. Radon test kits are available to be picked up in the Land Services Building at the customer service counter located at 322 Laurel St. Ste 15, Brainerd, MN between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm. There is a limit of one radon kit per household.

Test your home to see if you have elevated radon levels. Testing is easy, inexpensive and takes 3-5 days. In homes with levels over 4.0 pCi/L, homeowners should consider verification testing and possibly installing a mitigation system, which will remove radon from your home. For more information on radon testing and mitigation visit: https://www.health.state.mn.us/news/pressrel/2019/radon011519.html or call the Minnesota Department of Health Indoor Air Unit at 651-201-4601 or 1-800-798-9050. Amap on this website shows radon testing rates for every census tract in Minnesota. The Minnesota Department of Health says that, even if your county has a lower average radon level, it is important to test your own home since radon levels can vary widely between homes-even in the same neighborhood.

Anyone interested in mitigating their home for radon should consult the Minnesota Department of Health’s list of certified radon mitigation contractors at http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/radon/mitigation.html .

The Land Services Department is committed to providing excellent customer service while helping landowners make wise choices that protect Crow Wing County’s extraordinary natural resources. Citizens are encouraged to contact the Land Services Office at (218) 824-1010 or landservices@crowwing.us to discuss land use activities. Crow Wing County information and resources can be found at www.crowwing.us.

More Top Stories

Northland Press  |  P.O. Box 145 | Outing, MN  56662  |  (218) 692-5842