(Right to Left) Tad Erickson, Region 5, Dave Sohn Advisory Committee Member, Kelly Condiff, Cass County/SWCD, and Mike Tauber Advisory Committee Member - photo submitted
Pine River Watershed Plan Obtains Funding for Conservation
Web posted July 28, 2020
The Cass and Crow Wing Counties and Crow Wing and Cass Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCD) all adopted a Comprehensive Local Pine River Watershed Plan.
On June 15, 2020 the local government units were awarded $482,000 to implement the conservation activates within the Pine River Watershed as outlined in the partnership’s comprehensive watershed management plan developed through the One Watershed One Plan program. Funds were awarded from the Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources (BWSR) through the Clean Water Land and Legacy Amendment.
According Crow Wing SWCD District Manager, Melissa Barrick “This is an exciting time in conservation. This is two years in the making We have prioritized lakes in a detailed plan. Grant funds are available to complete actions in the plan. We are very grateful for all the collaboration between the counties, soil and water conservation districts, and citizen input in the process.”
Funds will be utilized toward plan objectives and action items which include:
• Keep lakes and forest healthy so that water visibility and water recreation can be enjoyed by all into the future
- Help Landowners manage shorelines/forests/ and preserve high-quality land long term
• Reduce algae growth by filtering stormwater before water reaches the lakes
- County Ordinances and Programs
- Voluntary conservation of individual landowners for raingardens, shoreline buffers, grazing management, and cover crops
• Soil health
- Help producers develop practices on land to build soil health
- Retain water on the land
• Put area lakes on a low salt diet
- Train operators and contractors’ practices to reduce chloride applications on roads and parking lots
- Provide grants for cities and townships to purchase equipment that reduces the application of salt
According to BWSR Board Conversation Chris Pence, “This is a great example of local government units working across boundaries to develop a local plan that looks at large scale issues across the watershed. This has been great team effort by partners and citizens to develop a plan that is tailored to lake needs into two categories.”
“Many thanks to all partners, advisory committee, and policy committee for their time and effort in the planning process.” stated Barrick.
To find more information about the plan Call 218-828-6197 email : email@example.com Or visit: https://www.crowwing.us/1476/Pine-River-1W1P
For the Full Plan: https://www.crowwing.us/DocumentCenter/View/17315/Pine-River-One-Watershed-One-Plan-Final-Pan?bidId=
Summary of the Plan: https://www.crowwing.us/DocumentCenter/View/15751/PineRiver1W1PSummary-of-Draft?bidId=
This plan does not address Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) both Cass and Crow Wing Counties have AIS Plans.
P.O. Box 145, Outing, MN 56662 • Phone 218-792-5842 • Fax 218-792-5844 • Email firstname.lastname@example.org